Driving in Europe post brexit

by Apr 23, 2021

Please read this blog if you plan on driving in Europe in 2021 due to new rules since Brexit…

post brexit guide

Motorhome Tours have created this guide to highlight some of the changes that have come about post Brexit regarding driving in Europe.

Take your time to read through this blog as it might just save you falling foul of the law with a tricky French Police Officer or a fine of €750!

passport photo

An agreement has been reached in relation to the International Driving Permit (IDP) which means it’s now not required unless you have a Paper Driving Licence or if your Driving Licence is issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or Isle of Man.

If you are in one of the above groups please check with the embassy of the country you are travelling to check the requirements.

angles morts logo

Angles Morts Stickers…

Blind Spot Stickers are now a legal requirement for driving vehicles over 3.5T in Urban Areas in France.

These are called Angles Morts in France and the requirement is displaying these large stickers on 3 sides of your vehicle, Rear Right (Kerbside in Europe) left and right sides near the front of the cab.

These are easily purchased from places like eBay or Amazon, available in Stickers or a Magnetic variant.

Penalty for not displaying these is €135 but can be as much as €750.

These are visible on most vehicles in France now so please don’t fall foul of this as a €750 fine will take the sting out of your holiday!

Further information on this UK website can be found by clicking here

GB sticker

GB Sticker

A GB sticker is required to be displayed at the rear of your vehicle, unless your number plate has GB on its own or next to the Union Jack flag.

You must have a GB sticker even if your number plate displays GB along side the flag of the EU, England, Scotland or Wales.

Spain, Cyprus and Malta require a sticker irrelevant of what is displayed on the number plate.

You do not require a GB sticker if travelling to Ireland!

Our recommendation is to have a GB sticker as this will cover all eventualities.

green card

It’s BACK..!

A Green Card is a document from your insurance company that you are required to have with you when driving in Europe.

It is advisable to contact your insurance company a minimum six weeks before travel to obtain your physical Green Card documentation.

It is advisable to check the level of cover with your insurance company to ensure its the same level of cover as the UK.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This